Saturday 20 April 2013

Embellished Lace Body Necklaces

This is my first post, the beginning of me sharing online my creative journey with jewelry and who know what else! Thank you for reading it, I so appreciate it!

To pick it up where I am at this point, I'd like to share about one of my newest jewelry products - body necklaces.  For those who may not know what they are, they are a necklace which has a special pendant or focal area, and then two chains or strings of beads are attached to the bottom of that.  The chains come around to your back and either attach by a clasp at the back of your waist, or they sweep up your back and attach at the back of your neck.  I prefer the ones that come up, because they are easier to fit on most people, are easier to do up, and they look very elegant and lovely.  I love body necklaces!  They can look so luxurious and special, and make you feel that way.  They're a real statement piece.  The ones I've made, two so far, are comfortable to wear and very easy to put on.

I'm a mixed media artist, and my favourite material to incorporate into my designs is lace, so I made lace focal pieces for my necklaces.  This is the first one I did. (I'll share the other one in my next post).





        
I see you've met my model!  She's my garden angel, so I've named her Gardenia. She lives in the house in the winter, and I discovered that she worked as a model when I was looking for some way to display my body necklaces for photography.  She looked a little pale, so I gave her a bit of make-up.  I think she looks fantastic, don't you think?  If she's going to work regularly as my model, she may have to stay in this summer.

Anyway, back to the necklace...  I used lace on lace here, with some purple crystals, pearls, and silver sparkle.  I always embellish my lace.  I had enough pearl chain to try this out, so I went with that, adding a bit of plain silver chain at the back.  I love pearls, glass ones and real ones, and use them frequently in my designs, as well as crystals for a bit of sparkle.  I thought these purple flowers looked like violets, and they look like they're floating in beautiful deep teale water, so I've called this set "Water Violets".  I made simple earrings with the largest pearl in the necklace, to complete the look.

But that's not all there is to this piece ... it's reversible!  I've recently been making as much of my jewelry reversible as I can.  It's good value, as it gives the wearer two looks.  And I get to create twice on the same piece, so it'a a win-win situation!  Here's the other side of the pendant.





This looks like the water movement pushed all the water violets together into a pretty grouping!  Instead of purple crystals, I've left that color out on this side and used turquoise crystals instead.  Having the two sides creates more versatility for what the necklace can be worn with, but there is a harmony between the sides.

Please feel free to leave comments or ask questions, I would welcome them.  Thanks for stopping by!

4 comments:

  1. The pendant size is 5 1/2" long. I realized that you don't know how big the angel is, in comparison to a person - not as big. The neck chain has an extender, so you can adjust it higher or lower, but they generally sit like a regular pendant, and the long ones, like this one, come down a little lower, and the bottom chain curves under the bustline area by a few inches. The pendant doesn't cover the whole torso, like it does on Gardenia! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the comment section is fixed now - needed to go into the settings and adjust. Anyone should be able to comment now. If you tried and couldn't, please try again, and let me know any problems. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Catherine! We've both got exciting endeavours.

    ReplyDelete