Monday 10 June 2013

1920s-Inspired Wedding Headpiece

Last week I connected with the lovely owner of Urban Bride in Cambridge, Ontario.  I was able to leave seven of my jewelry sets for her to display in her store, including some of the ones in my last post about my wedding jewelry, and my gold and white body necklace.

At that time, she asked if I could make a 20s-inspired bridal headpiece.  She had had an earlier request for one of those, and was able to show me a picture of a beautiful one to use as my inspiration. 

I had never made anything in that style, but was up for the challenge, and knew it would be a fun project.  And it did turn out to be!  This is what I came up with:
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
For the headband, I used some sequin and seed bead trim that I embellished with crystals.  I wanted it to be a little wider though, with a touch of silver, and ended up finding some silver lace leaves left over from last Christmas when I had made a collection of silver lace jewelry.
 
The focal area was a combination of pretty elements, starting with an ivory lace flower, to which I added tiny flowers in the center.  White feathers and dangling silver chains were also brought in.  The piece ended up being a vintage-looking combination of white, ivory and silver.  I love to combine these types of neutral shades, and find that they work very well together.  And the look can be less stark than pure white, which is difficult for some brides to wear. 
 
I love it when I can look through my supplies and bring together different bits to make something that I think is pretty!  I find that fulfilling.
 
While I had the beautiful white feathers out, I decided to see if there was anything I had that I could add them to.  I was in the mood to play with them a bit!  I found ivory ceramic calla lilies that have been waiting for quite some time to be incorporated into a piece of jewelry.  I decided to have the feathers come out of the flower, and added some other pretty bits as well.
 
 
 
 
 
 
I really wanted to make this into hair jewelry as well.  I tried stitching it onto trim to make a headband style piece, but it was to heavy.  Same when I stitched it onto a hair comb.  I ended up attaching a pin back onto it.  If I find the right base for a hairpiece, I may still attach it onto that, or sell it as a pin to be added wherever the bride wants it.   
 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment